Saturday, November 24, 2012

Weekend Reading: Singer-Songwriter Ryan Bingham Believes Music Rescued Him

So, remember that Ryan Bingham trip I said I booked?

Tonight’s the night!

(Actually, I’m probably on the road as you read this.)

Because I’ve written about Ryan Bingham before, and because he recently had some interesting things to say about music in light of his new album release (and, of course, because I’m seeing him tonight), I thought we were due another Bingham post.

You might remember a couple of years ago when Ryan Bingham said that songwriting was his therapy and got him through tough times.

Well, the artist hasn’t changed his stance on that.

In a recent New York Times interview, Esquire columnist Andy Langer stated that music rescued Bingham.

Bingham’s response?

I truly believe that. I started playing songs and from the get-go, it was really therapeutic. It’s always helped to say stuff out loud. The songs weren’t really written for anybody to hear. A lot of the places I played early on were rough roadhouses, honky-tonks and dive bars. People were there to get drunk and fight. I could sing the songs all night long, and nobody was listening to the lyrics as long as the guitars were loud and the tempos were up. But it gave me the opportunity to sustain myself. I could make 40 bucks a night and pay for gas and food.

How many of you wrote songs no one was meant to hear? Songs, poems, stories – how many of you used them for therapy?

I, for one, have many, many journals filled with them.

Tell me about some of yours! Maybe you’d like to share a favorite one? Or, talk about the one that got you through a particularly difficult time?

In the meantime, Bingham’s new album, Tomorrowland, is available for sale, but you can check it out on Spotify before deciding!

Source: http://blogs.psychcentral.com/celebrity/2012/10/weekend-reading-singer-songwriter-ryan-bingham-believes-music-rescued-him/

Chloe Sevigny Ehrinn Cummings Jamie Gunns

No comments:

Post a Comment