Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dave Matthews Band On The Sandy Hook Elementary Massacre

When I heard the news of the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre last Friday morning, I was, up until that point, far removed from Newtown, CT. I was on my way to Charlottesville, VA for a weekend of Dave Matthews Band.

My sister and I like to attend at least one Charlottesville show to sort of round out the touring season each year. This year, we had tickets to both shows, but a weekend that was supposed to be filled with joy and mirth was marred with shock, outrage, grief, anguish, and guilt.

During the intermission between opening act The Lumineers and the moment DMB took the stage, my sister turned to me.

“Do you think he’ll mention what happened this morning?”

I did, and he did.

Three or four songs into the set, the band paused and Dave addressed the Sandy Hook shooting, the second deadliest school shooting in US history, and wondered when we were going to stop throwing bullets at one another before he and the band launched into “Mercy.”

The crowd passionately sang along, and even though we went on with the night as planned, the lost lives of the Sandy Hook victims were on our minds, as they will forever be imprinted on history.

Below are the lyrics to “Mercy,” courtesy of DMBAlmanac.com, and a link to the band’s official “Mercy” video.

Don’t give up
I know you can see
all the world and the mess that we’re making
can’t give up
and hope God will intercede
come on back
imagine that
we could get it together

Stand up
for what we need to be
’cause crying won’t save or feed a hungry child
can’t lay down
wait for a miracle to change things
lift up your eyes
lift up your heart
singing

Mercy, will we overcome this?
one by one could we just turn it around?
maybe… carry on just a little bit longer
and I’ll try to give you what you need

Me and you and you and you
just wanna be free… yeah yeah
but you see
all the world is just as we have made it
and until we’ve got a new world
I got to say
love is not a whisper or a weakness
No, love is strong
now we gotta get it together
gotta get, gotta get, gotta get
til there is no reason
to fight

Mercy will we overcome this?
one by one, could we turn it around?
maybe… carry on just a little bit longer
and I’ll try to give you what you need

Mercy will we overcome this?
have we come too far to turn it around?
is it ask too much to be a little bit stronger?
’cause I want to give you what you need

Mercy, what will become of us?
one by one, could we turn it around?
maybe… carry on just a little bit longer
and I’ll try to give you what you need.

Dave Matthews Band – Mercy

Source: http://blogs.psychcentral.com/celebrity/2012/12/dave-matthews-band-on-the-sandy-hook-elementary-massacre/

Drew Barrymore Georgianna Robertson Amber Valletta

No comments:

Post a Comment